Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It's A Mini Princess!!!!!

Yesterday my husband Zach and I had an appointment in Topeka for a sonogram. The sonogram was to determine if baby has any major or minor birth defects. We got to the hospital about 15 minutes before our appointment started. I was told a week prior to bring a bottle of water with me. The instructions were that I had to empty my bladder and proceed to drink the entire thing immediately after my arrival at the clinic. Now for anyone who has never been pregnant before, it seems the further along you get, the more you have to pee. You always feel like you are about to explode, but when you actually go pee, the amount is less and less. After being cued in to this vital piece of information, I'm sure you can imagine how I felt by the end of 32 ounces of water. I was almost certain that I was going to pee on myself in the middle of the sonogram.
When we got there the clinic staff was for the most part at lunch. Eventually I was checked in and returned to the waiting area. The waiting area consisted of nine very small chairs and two small side tables. There were only six people there, including myself and Zach, but I felt like we were in a group hug. The TV was placed awkwardly behind my head, so I figured I would just get on with the water consumption and read a magazine instead. I got all excited when one of the nurses called my name, but it was a false alarm. After calling me back to check my blood pressure and weight, I returned to the waiting room. Finally a nice old lady came by and called us back to the sonogram room.
I was so excited, I almost forgot I had to pee. Now, before I go any further, let me just say a few things. My husband and I had talked about what we hoped baby's gender to be. My husband just knew, deep down in his heart, we were having a boy. I guess they were going to do all kinds of guy stuff together and write their names in the snow as an integral part of potty training. While I had hoped for a little girl, I had a dream we were having a boy. There have been many times where my dreams were more like prophecies, so I half believed it was a boy as well.
I laid down in the recliner and my husband sat next to me. The lady got started and made a bunch of measurements of various things. We could see the baby's spine, both hemispheres of the brain, little hands and feet, and a few other things. I think my husband and I were both getting anxious about whether or not she could tell the sex of the baby. Eventually she asked, "Have you two discussed whether you want to know the sex of the baby or not?" I told her we were both dying to know. My husband, cockily I might add, said, "I already know it's a boy. This appointment is for my wife who doesn't believe me. She wants a girl." I laughed and waited for the lady to finish searching around with the machine. Finally she said, "Well it looks like your girls out-swam your boys." My husband was a little confused. I could tell he was trying to figure out how that translated to "it's a boy". She said "It looks like a girl. I've been doing this for about 19 years now, so I'm pretty certain that you are having a girl." I can't even tell you how excited I was at that point. All I could think was It's a mini princess!!! She's going to be my little dolly. I can't wait to hug her and squeeze her and kiss her baby toesies.
The doctor eventually came in to look at baby and explain their findings. He said he did not see any signs of chromosomal defects or physical deformities (like a cleft lip or club foot). Everything measured up perfectly normal and right in the mid range for her growth period at 18 weeks. We were not able to do the 3D/4D ultrasound because my little princess decided it was nap time half way through the sonogram, so we could not get a clear picture of her face. She was laying on her little belly with her head turned away from us. Zach and I have to go back in eight weeks though, so hopefully she will be in a better position. I can't wait to see her again.
Last week I started feeling her moving around for the first time, and she hasn't stopped since. I think that is the first time I actually felt pregnant through this entire time. Before it just seemed like I was taking everyone else's word for it. When I felt her kicking around the first time, I couldn't believe it. I knew it was her, but I couldn't believe it. As the week went on, it became the most reassuring part of every day. I would feel her move around and it made me smile, because I knew she was safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment